Posts Tagged ‘artworking’

5 artworking terms you can learn in under 5 minutes

Thursday, July 31st, 2014

The advertising and design industries are bursting with jargon. It can be a bit overwhelming when you’re working with an agency, or starting a new job. So our veteran artworker Adey has helpfully compiled a quick-fire guide to the 5 terms you need to know:

1. Scamp

It might sound like an adorable ball of fluff, but in agency terms, a ‘scamp’ is a black-and-white mockup of an idea. They’re drawn in pen on paper, and often feature wonky stickmen.



2. Proof


Stand back, Sherlock. A proof is a test print showing how the artwork and colours will appear, for approval before going to press.

3. Bleed



(That’s fake blood, don’t worry!)

Rather than something you get after a direct hit to the schnoz, ‘bleed’ in artworking terms allows you to run artwork to the edge of a page. For press, the artwork is printed on a large sheet of paper and then trimmed down to size.



Most people have heard of CMYK and know it refers to the four inks used in most colour printing. But fewer people know that the K stands for ‘key’ – that’s black to you and me.

5. High-res



‘High res’ is a term most of us are familiar with – but do you know the actual resolution you need to use for print images? Measured in DPI (dots per inch), the resolution determines how clear your kitten will look, so it’s pretty important. The print standard is usually 300 DPI.

There you have it – enough info to wow your resident artworker in no time at all. Thanks, Adey.